Thursday 15 November 2007

When fashion gets it wrong: Fetish fashion brings us stud shoe mania


I'm a girl who seriously loves shoes. It's bordering on addiction, I mean... there's nothing that makes shopping more gratifying than the purchase of some gorgeous Mary Janes or a pair of classic trainers. It's hardly surprising then that shoe crimes make me sad inside.

The fashion lot have gone a bit crazy over a few trends this Autumn/Winter, but none worries me more than fetish fashion (except perhaps for the bizarre '80s revival, don't you just want to cry?). Some of the most wonderful shoe designers in the world have fallen foul of this nonsense, including the one whose shoes I most often lust after, Christian Louboutin.

Studs never looked good, not even when people where punching them onto the backs of leather jackets to write 'cool' slogans, so why are they ruining perfectly reasonable shoe designs in the here and now? I can't begin to understand. If you think I've lost it, and you love these pairs then let me know. And you can buy them from Net-a-Porter too. But when you're looking back and wondering what the hell you were thinking, don't say I didn't warn you...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh! Heh! I COMPLETELY agree this you! Sometimes, I think that designers just get lost in fashion & loose sight of common sense. To my eyes these shoes look like they've been thrown together from some old dog collars that just happened to be lying around.